~Leads holistic change guided by its sustainability and social impact framework, Paathya
National, April 23, 2022: In line with its commitment to make a positive impact with an integrated approach towards creating sustained growth and positive impact, Indian Hotels Company (IHCL), India’s largest hospitality company, continues to make strides in strengthening it sustainable business practices. Guided by its framework of Paathya, IHCL has undertaken a number of initiatives including phasing out single-use plastic, reduction in carbon footprint, water conservation, utilization of renewable sources of energy and extensive community engagement.
This Earth Day, IHCL marks the occasion with a milestone achievement of 57 of its hotels achieving EarthCheck Platinum Certification, representing 14 continuous years of social and environmental impact by ensuring sustainable tourism management practices. With this, a total of 77EarthCheck certified IHCL hotels have generated significant savings since 2008 by:
- Reducing water consumption by approximately 780,940 kilolitres
- Reducing greenhouse emissions including approximately 286,006,980 kilograms of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e)
- Saving approximately 1,548,283,817 mega joules of energy
- Reducing waste sent to landfill by 18,790 cubic meters
- Establishing bottling plants at 15 hotels across the globe to eliminate use of single use plastic by replacing all plastic water bottles with reusable glass bottles
With a long term vision of driving responsible tourism, IHCL has announced its sustainability commitments for the year 2030 under Paathya. These include 100% elimination of single-use plastic across all its hotels, ensuring 100% of waste water is reused and that all business meetings and conferences go green with the introduction of Innergise– Green Meetings.
Moreover, with a keen focus on reducing carbon footprint,IHCL has partnered with Tata Power to provide EV charging stations across hotels in key locations and has also continued to leverage the partnership to utilize renewable energy as a green energy source across hotels.
IHCL will continue to pioneer sustainable practices in its pursuit towards excellence and creating benchmark in the tourism industry.